Statues - Hither & Thither

Hungary
Budapest
Budapest Főváros

Kodály Körönd (VI.)

Szondi György

(? 1500 - Drégely Castle 1552)
Hungarian soldier and the captain of Drégely Castle
(Wikipedia)
Marton László
1958

Budapest /  Szondi György   Budapest /  Szondi György

Description

Bronze statue of Szondi in full armour with his sword resting on the ground.

Inscription(s)

SZONDI GYÖRGY

Signed: 1955 Marton

Kodály Körönd

Kodály Körönd (Kodály Circus) is an elegant square at the intersection of Andrássy Avenue and Fels?erd?sor u., with beautifully painted old buildings and statues of four of Hungary's great heroes in each corner, constructed c. 1900. Two of the statues were replaced in the 1950s, when the original statues were included in the Millenium monument, a third was replaced also.
  1. Vak Bottyán János, by Kiss Kovács Gyula 1958 (originally Bethlen Gábor, by ifj. Vastagh György 1902).
  2. Zrínyi Miklós, by Róna József, 1902.
  3. Balassi Bálint, 1959 (originally Pálffy János gr, by Senyei Károly, 1905, which was torn down in 1955 and is now in the History Museum).
  4. Szondi György, by Marton László 1958 (originally Bocskay István by Holló Barnabás, 1903).
(Wikipedia).

Budapest - Szondi György

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location N 47°30'35" E 19°4'10"

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: hubp102; Photograph: 8 September 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt