Cork - Corcaigh
Cork - Corcaigh
The monument commemorates the rebellions of the United Irishmen in 1798, the one led by Robert Emmet in 1803, the Young Irelanders' in 1848 and the Fenian rising of 1857
John F. Davis
Monument in early Irish Gothic style, in the form of a tower with in the center a statue of Mother Erin and on the four corners statues of:
- WOLFE TONE - Theobald Wolfe Tone (Dublin 1763 - Dublin 1798), Irish revolutionary figure and one of the founding members of the United Irishmen; regarded as the father of Irish republicanism
- DWYER - Michael Dwyer (Camara, Co. Wicklow 1772 - Liverpool, NSW, Australia 1825), United Irishmen leader in the 1798 rebellion. He later fought a guerilla campaign against the British Army in the Wicklow Mountains from 1798-1803
- DAVIS - Thomas Davis (Mallow, Co. Cork, 1814 - Dublin 1845), revolutionary Irish writer who was the chief organiser and poet of the Young Ireland movement
- O'NEILL CROWLEY - Peter O'Neill Crowley (Aughavine, Co. Cork 1831 - 1867), leader of the 100-strong IRB unit in Ballymacoda, near Youghal, during the Fenian rising of 1867.
On the fence around the statue are the coat of arms of the town of Cork (twice), a shield hail columbia (eagle and flag of the United States with the date 1776; also twice) and the four Irish provinces: Munster, Ulster , Connaught and Leinster.
through the efforts
CORK YOUNG IRELAND SOCIETY
to perpetuate the memory of
the gallant men of
1798 1803 48 and 67
who fought and died
In The Wars of Ireland
to recover her
and to inspire the youth of
our country to follow in their
patriotic footsteps and
imitate their heroic example
and righteous men will make our
A NATION ONCE AGAIN.
An additional text in an 'open book':
orthu siúd a d'oibrigh
1916 - 1923
In memory of
those who served
the cause of
(Erin): j.f. davis | cork; (statues): j.f. davis, sculptr
The National Monument was unveiled on St Patrick's Day 1906 by Fr Kavanagh, OSF. D.J. Coakley, a well-known architect, designed the monument.
War memorial - list of names
We have photos of the list(s) of fallen on this memorial. Contact us if you want to see these lists. (contact form)
- John Francis Davis (Kilkenny 1860/61 - Belfast 19..),
Marble mason of Cork (until 1911) and Belfast
Sources & Information
Locatie (N 51°53'45" - W 8°28'28")
Item Code: ie141; Photograph: 15 June 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt