Bronze plaques in the pavement, close to the statue of the Echo Boy. The plaques have the shape of the doorway of the 'EXAMINER OFFICE', St. Patrick's Street 95, and has on each of the sides panels showing the history of the building and of the newspaper.
'this was the | entrance of the | apollo society | & theatre in | the early | 1800's' - in | 1815 the | old theatre | became the venue | for the cork society of | fine arts annual exhibition, with some masks.
'1818 king | george iv | donated | a series | of casts | to the people of | cork. they were | commissioned by | pope pius vii & | made by italian | sculptor | canova | in | 1879, the | casts | went | on | show | here | at 95 patrick street' with a portrait of pope pius vii and a depiction of Canova's discus thrower.
'the royal cork | institution took | over the care of | the casts and | rehoused | them in what | is now the | crawford | art gallery', with a depiction of the Art Gallery.
'john francis maguire m.p. | launchedThe | Cork Examiner | on august 30th | 1841', with a portrait of Maguire.
thomas crosbie | joined the | paper | a year | later | aged 15 - The Cork | Examinermoved its | operation to | 95 patrick st. | on the 13th | nov 1843 - crosbie | became proprietor | when maguire died | in 1872. "the paper" | has been in the | crosbie family since., with a depiction of a printing machine.
the echo | was launched from | here in 1892 - the doorway | ceased as an | access in the 1980's | & the examiner | relocated | in 2007'
In the grill above the 'door': o'callaghan properties 2009'.
Eithne Ring Liam Lavery
Liam Lavery, Irish artist, works since 1988 together with Eithne Ring.
Eithne Ring (Cork 1965), Irish artists, works since 1988 together with Liam Lavery.