Relief in the tympanum and 10 statues on the facades:
Entrance door with relief in tympanum flanked by two statues in niches:
Niche in south wall of southwestern chapel
- St. Patrick, bishop with foot on snake.
(Modern Irish: Pádraig) 5th-century Romano-British Christian missionary and bishop in Ireland. Known as the 'Apostle of Ireland', he is the primary patron saint of the island.
- St. Mary Immaculate Conception
- Unknown saint, Bishop with book
Niches in the west and north facades of the tower
- St. John the Baptist, with cross-staff and sheep on a book.
(c. 6 BC- c. 36 AD),
itinerant preacher and a major religious figure who led a movement of baptism at the Jordan River. He baptized Jesus at "Bethany beyond the Jordan."
- St. Peter.
- St. Paul.
The apostles Peter and Paul are often depicted together. In Catholic tradition, Peter is said to have founded the church in Rome with Paul, served as its bishop, authored two epistles, and then met martyrdom there along with Paul.
Five statues in niches:
- Unknown saint, Monk with book and feather.
- St. Bridget, with staff and church model.
St. Brigit of Kildare (c.?451-525), one of Ireland's patron saints along with Patrick and Columba (Wikipedia).
- Sacred Heart Statue
- St. Brendan, with a boat
(Fenit Island c. 484 - Eanachduin c. 577), called 'the Navigator', 'the Voyager', or 'the Bold'; one of the early Irish monastic saints; chiefly renowned for his legendary quest to the 'Isle of the Blessed', also called Saint Brendan's Island (Wikipedia).
- Unknown saint, Bishop with bible.
The church was consecrated in 1880 and built after a design by a Mr. S. C. Ashlin of Dublin, according to a plan suggested to him by the Parish priest, Fr. Matthew O'Donovan. The tower was finished in 1898.
Sources & Information
Location N 51°37'22" W 8°53'31"
Item Code: ie179; Photograph: 16 June 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt