Bóthairín an Átha
This sculpture commemorates the ancient river crossing
known locally to generations of Innishannon people as
Bóthairín Átha (little road to the ford) which is the laneway
leading to the river beside the Market House
(140 metres ahead). Bóthairín an Átha was the crossing
point on the Bandon river into West Cork prior to the
building of Banden Bridge in 1594 and Innishannon
Bridge in 1665. It was around this natural asset that the
development of the village of Innishannon took place.
The river at Bóthairín an Átha was fordable at low tide
by horse and rider.