Statues - Hither & Thither

Ireland
Tralee - Trá Lí
Kerry - Ciarraí

Bridge Place

Dominican Monument

Noel Fitzgibbon & Sons
1987

Tralee - Trá Lí /  Dominican Monument   Tralee - Trá Lí /  Dominican Monument

Description

Limestone statue of a Dominican friar, with on the foot the texts:
laudare benedicere prædicare

On the plint three marble reliefs and a text plaque:

Tralee - Trá Lí / Dominican Monument
1
Tralee - Trá Lí / Dominican Monument
2
Tralee - Trá Lí / Dominican Monument
3

  1. founding of the abbey in 1243
  2. destruction of the abbey in 1652
  3. new church of the holy cross 1866-71
  4. Text plaque

This Memorial has been erected
by The People of Tralee
to honour
The Dominican Order
for loyal and dedicated service
to the town and diocese
since 1243

Rath agus coimirce
Dominic Naofa
ar an té a thugann cuairt ar an
áit dheannaithe seo

and on the chamfers four coats of arms:
  1. Dominican order with the motto: laudare benedicere prædicare
  2. Probably the bishop or dioecese of Kerry, with the motto: Fanaigí i mo Ghrá
  3. Town of Tralee, with the motto: vis unita fortior
  4. The Geraldine family of Kildare, with the motto: crom abu

Tralee - Trá Lí / Dominican Monument
5
Tralee - Trá Lí / Dominican Monument
6
Tralee - Trá Lí / Dominican Monument
7
Tralee - Trá Lí / Dominican Monument
8

Inscription(s)

ANCO
the base of this statue was cut and
erected by the following 1986/1987
Apprentice Stonecutters
Francis Mc Manus     Leitrim
Brendan Wallace     Cork
Dermot Nolan     Carlow
Michael Mc Groarty     Donegal
John Fitzgibbon     Kerry

Signature

this monument was designed, | carved and constructed by | Noel Fitzgibbon ∧ Sons | Sculptors Tralee 1987

Tralee - Trá Lí / Dominican Monument

Sculptor

Tags

Location (N 52°16'8" - W 9°42'30")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: ie232; Photograph: 17 June 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt