Statues - Hither & Thither

Italy
Rimini
Rimini (prov.)

Emilia-Romagna

Piazza Giuseppe Mazzini
(Chiesa San Gaudenzo)

San Gaudenzo di Rimini

Saint Gaudentius of Rimini

Ephese c. 280 - Rimini 360
First bishop of Rimini
(Wikipedia)
Elio Morri
c. 1950

Rimini /  San Gaudenzo di Rimini   Rimini /  San Gaudenzo di Rimini

Description

The original parish church was erected in 1856 and destroyed during World War II. The reconstruction, while modeled on the prior church, is a modern reinterpretation, completed in 1950, by the architect Luigi Campanini.

The tympan has a stone relief depicting St. Gaudenz and two angels, one with a bishop's staff, the other with a church model. At the lower edge is a city profile of Rimini.

Rimini - San Gaudenzo di Rimini

Below the tympan the text:

S. GAUDENTIO M. ET EP. ARIM. DICATUM
(dedicated to St. Gaudentius, Martyr and Bishop of Rimini)

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 44°3'24" - E 12°33'50")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: iter012; Photograph: 11 May 2017
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt