Statue of Grand Duke Kęstutis with sword and shield with the coat of arms of Lithuania - an armour-clad knight on horseback holding an olden sword and shield, known as Vytis, 'the Chaser'). Kęstutis wears a chain with the Columns of the Gediminids, which also appears on the pedestal.
DLK = Didysis Lietuvos kunigaikštis (= Grand Duke of Lithuania)
The original monument was built 1937, the sculptor was Kipras Ausiejus. About 1954 the monument was demolished and buried. In 1989 the monument was unearthed, but very badly damaged, and restoration failed. The monument was rebuilt in the 1990s by sculptor - G. Kamarauskas and the architect - K.Lupeikis. The monument is a concrete, the surface of the simulated granite.
- Kipras Ausiejus,
- Gintaras Kamarauskas (Vilnius 1957),
Sources & Information
Location (N 54°37'55" - E 23°56'55")
Item Code: lt093; Photograph: 14 July 2013
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt