Statues - Hither & Thither

New Zealand
Wellington
Wellington

Plimmer Steps / Lambton Quay

John Plimmer

Upton-under-Amon, Shropshire, England 1812 - Wellington 1905
arrived 31 October 1841 at Port Nicholson and settled at Te Aro, Wellington, where he commenced several businesses.
(Wikipedia)
Tom Tischler
1996

Wellington /  John Plimmer   Wellington /  John Plimmer

Description

Bronze statue without pedestal.

Information Sign

JOHN PLIMMER (1812-1905)
John Plimmer arrived in Wellington on
the "Gertrude" on 21 October 1841.
During his long residence on these Steps which
bear the Plimmer name, he was active in many
facets of Wellington's commercial and political life.

He developed Plimmer's Warehouse, a retailing
business built on the base of the salvaged barque
"Inconstant". Known as "Noah's Ark", it sat
opposite this site, when the waterfront still laped
the edge of Lambton Quay.

A strong promoter of the rail link between
Wellington and the Manawatu; Plimmerton
township on that lane was named after him.

In his final years he was honoured as "Father of
Wellington" by the citizens of the city to which
he had devoted his life. He was often seen on
Lambton Quay walking his dog "Fitz". Unveiled August 1996

Wellington - John Plimmer

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (S 41°17'8" - E 174°46'32")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: nz020; Photograph: 11 February 2008
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt