Statues - Hither & Thither

Portugal
Évora
Évora (distrito)

Alentejo

Largo da Graça
(Igreja da Graça)

Os Meninos

The Boys


1511

Évora /  Os Meninos   Évora /  Os Meninos

Description

The Graça Church or the Convent of Nossa Senhora da Graça (popularly called Graça Convent or Meninos da Graça) was a monastery of the hermit friars shoes of St. Augustine, founded in 1511. The Renaissance building was designed by the architect of the Royal House Miguel de Arruda. On both sides corners of the façade sit two Atlantean figures in front of a column with a large sphere. The people of Évora have called these figures the 'Boys of Grace' for centuries.

Évora - Os Meninos Évora - Os Meninos

Sources & Information

Tags

Location N 38°34'10" W 7°54'27"

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: ptat026; Photograph: 2 September 2017
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt