Statues - Hither & Thither

Portugal
Lisboa
(Fr. de Santa Maria Maior)
Lisboa (distrito)

Lisboa (região)

Largo das Portas do Sol

São Vicente

Saint Vincent of Saragossa

d. 304
martyr, patron saint of Lisbon, patron of vintners and vinegar-makers
(Wikipedia)
Luis Xavier & Raul Xavier
1949-67

Lisboa /  São Vicente   Lisboa /  São Vicente

Description

Stone statue of St. Vincent holding in his hand a ship with two crows (the coat of arms of Lisbon). Legend tells that the remains of St. Vincent, a Spanish martyr who had been overthrown in the year 304, were obtained by D. Afonso Henriques and buried in the Cathedral of Lisbon in 1176, and were brought in a ship guarded by two crows.

The first studies for this statue were realized by Raul Xavier in 1949. The realization in stone only occurred between 1965 and 1967, by the hands of Raul's son, architect Luís Xavier. The statue was inaugurated on 25 October 1970.

Inscription(s)

S. VICENTE

Sculptors

Sources & Information

Tags

Location N 38°42'44" W 9°7'48"

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: ptli039; Photograph: 29 August 2017
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt