Bronze sculpture of three women, standing close together, holding a cloth with the words: JVRIS ET DE JVRE (Of law and from law) - A phrase employed to denote conclusive presumptions of law, which cannot be rebutted by evidence. Tribute to the three powers, legislative, executive and judicial, the pillars of democratic government.
The base is circumscribed:
oferta do banif-banco internacional do funchal. s.a. à assembleia legislativa regional 4 _ 12 _ 90
a. sousa - 90
Inaugurated 4 December 1990.
- Amândio Manuel Abreu de Sousa (Funchal 1934),
Madeiran sculptor, husband of Luisa Clode.
Sources & Information
- Funchal Municipio, Funchal: Cidade com Arte (2010) (PDF on-line).
- Arquipelagos, Image Bank.
- Madeira Quase Esquecida, O que nos contam as nossas estátuas
- Padre António Vieira, Estátuas Madeirenses: Fotos e apontamentos sobre estátuas madeirenses (Blogspot).
Location (N 32°38'50" - W 16°54'28")
Item Code: ptma007; Photograph: 6 January 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt