Bronze statue on a high pedestal with four allegoric figures relating to the Discoveries:
- Povoamento / Settlement, a farmer with a plow.
- Conquista / Conquer, a knight in armour.
- Evangelização / Evangelisation, a monk with the bible.
- Sabedoria / Wisdom, a scholar with an astrolabe and a map.
cera perdida | Auto ABREU | lisboa
The base is designed by architect Cristino da Silva.
There are three statues of Zarco in Funchal:
- Freguesia da Sé, statue by Francisco Franco, 1934.
- Freguesia de São Martinho, statue by Augusto Cid, 2004.
- Freguesia do Monte, half figure by by Francisco Franco, 1914 (this is on the grounds of the restaurant at Terreiro da Luta, which was closed when we visited Madeira).
- Francisco Franco de Sousa (Funchal 1885 - Lisboa 1955),
Sources & Information
Locatie (N 32°38'52" - W 16°54'35")
Item Code: ptma037; Photograph: 7 January 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt