Statues - Hither & Thither

Portugal
Funchal
(Fr. do Monte)
Madeira (ilha)

Reg. Aut. da Madeira

Caminho dos Pretos
(Terreiro da Luta)

Nossa Senhora da Paz

Our Lady of Peace

José Pereira
1927

Funchal /  Nossa Senhora da Paz   Funchal /  Nossa Senhora da Paz

Description

5.5 m tall limestone statue of Mary with Child on a high pedestal with a bronze relief showing the apparition of Our Lady to a shepherdess at Fonte da Telha, close to Terreiro da Luta.

Funchal - Nossa Senhora da Paz   Funchal - Nossa Senhora da Paz

The relief is identical with a tile tableau in the porch of the Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Monte (Church of Our Lady of Monte)
This tableau is producted in the Fábrica de Loiça de Sacavém and signed Copia de A.P. Gomes / F.L. Sacavem – Oferta de Manuel Souza Pereira 1936.

Signature

(the relief) Pereira | 1924
Funchal - Nossa Senhora da Paz

Information Sign

Monte
Santuário da
Nossa Senhora da Paz

Durante a Primeira Guerra Mundial
o Funchal foi alvo de dois bombardeamentos
por submarinos alemães. O povo acorreu a
Nossa Senhora de Monte a pedir a paz e,
numa cerimónia realizada no Largo da Fonte, a
27 de Julho de 1917, foi feito um voto pelo
pároco de Monte, Padre José Marques Jardim
"se Deus , por intermédio de Nossa Senhora,
nos der a paz, cessando a guerra, eu me
comprometo a levantar um memorial como
gratidão e súplica pela paz".

A tão desejada paz foi assinada no ano
seguinte. A primeira pedra foi lançada a 1 de
Novembro de 1923, sendo o monumento
inaugurado a 14 de Agosto de 1927.

O monumento, de gosto neo-românico,
é encimado por uma imagem da Virgem com
cinco metros e meio de altura, assentando
num pedestal com quatro colunas romanas.
na base do qual exite um baixo-relevo em
bronze, alusivo à aparição da Virgem aos
pastorinhos na Fonte da Telha. A base do
monumento é envolvida pr um terço do
rosário, composto por correntes de navios
torpedeados no porto do Funchal durante a
Grande Guerra e pedras da ribeira de Santo
António, tudo transportado em procissão por
cerca de 300 homens, na maioria carreiros do
Monte, em romagem efectuada a 1 de
Novembro de 1927.

Sanctuary
of Our Lady of Peace

During the First World War Funchal
was targeted by two bombs launched from
German submarines. The people of Funchal
rushed in haste to Our Lady of Monte to ask for
peace and, in a ceremony carried out in the
Fountain Square, on 27 July 1917, a promise
was made by the parish priest of Monte, Father
José Marques Jardim, that if God, by
intercession of Our Lady, would grant peace
and an end to the war, he would undertake to
build a memorial in gratitude and as a plea for
peace.

This so desired peace was granted in
the following year. The first stone was cast on
1 November 1923, and the monument was
inaugurated on 14 August 1927.

The Monument, in neo-Roman style,
bears and image of the Virgin, five and a half
meters in height, standing on a pedestal on
four Roman columns. At its base there is a
bas relief in bronze, of the apparition of the
Virgin to the little shepherds.

The base of the monument is wrapped
in a rosary composed of chains from the ships
that were torpedoed in the port of Funchal
during the World War, and stones from the
River of Santo António. All of these materials
were transported in a procession of pilgrims,
by some 300 men, most of whom were the
workers of the Monte route, on 1 November
1927.

Annotation

The initiative to this monument was taken by José Marques Jardim, pastor of Monte (see his bust). The architect of the monument is Emanuel Ribeiro, the stone work was done by José Rodrigues França e Manuel Jacinto, in charge of the sculpture was José Pereira. The statue was made in the workshop of Manuel Simões Carrasqueira, Pero Pinheiro, Sintra, and the bronze relief in Vila Nova da Gaia.

Funchal - Nossa Senhora da Paz

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 32°41'4" - W 16°53'56")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: ptma081; Photograph: 9 January 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt