Statues - Hither & Thither

Slovenia
Ljubljana
Osrednjeslovenska

Levstikov trg
(Cerkev sv. Jakoba)

Kipi svetnikov na cerkvi sv. Jakoba

Statues of saints at St. James's Church

Ivan Zajec
1897

Ljubljana /  Kipi svetnikov na cerkvi sv. Jakoba   Ljubljana /  Kipi svetnikov na cerkvi sv. Jakoba

Description

The church was originally built in the 17th century, but after the earthquake in 1895, the Linz architect Raimund Jeblinger changed its exterior, made a new high neo-Gothic bell tower. At the exterior of St. James church are two statues flanking the tower entrance (sout entrance) and a relief in the façade facing west.

Ljubljana - Kipi svetnikov na cerkvi sv. Jakoba
Spremenjenje na gori Tabor / The Transfiguration on Mount Tabor.
Jesus and three of his apostles, Peter, James and John, are on a mountain to pray. On the mountain, Jesus begins to shine with bright rays of light. Then the prophets Moses and Elijah appear next to him and he speaks with them. Jesus is then called 'Son' by a voice in the sky, assumed to be God the Father, as in the Baptism of Jesus
Ljubljana - Kipi svetnikov na cerkvi sv. Jakoba Ljubljana - Kipi svetnikov na cerkvi sv. Jakoba
Sv. Ignacij Lojolski / St. Ignatius of Loyola
(1491-1556), Spanish knight from a Basque noble family, hermit, priest since 1537, and theologian, founded the Society of Jesus and was its first Superior General (Wikipedia).
Sv. Rok / St. Roch
(14th century), saint from Montpellier, he is specially invoked against the plague. (Wikipedia).

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

  • Façade with statues (church)
  • Ignatius of Loyola, St.
  • James the Greater, St.
  • John the Apostle, St.
  • Moses
  • Peter, St.
  • Roch, St.
  • Transfiguration of Jesus
  • Zajec, Ivan
  • Location N 46°2'46" E 14°30'26"

    eXTReMe Tracker
    Item Code: si107; Photograph: 10 September 2016
    Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
    If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
    © Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt