Statues - Hither & Thither

Slovakia
Gabčíkovo - Bős
Trnavský kraj

Námestie Svätej Trojice - Szentháromság tér
(Kostol sv. Margity, north side)

Tri sochy svätcov - Három szent szobor

Three statues of saints


1892-99

Gabčíkovo - Bős /  Tri sochy svätcov - Három szent szobor

Description

Three saint statues at the north side of the church:
Gabčíkovo - Bős - Tri sochy svätcov - Három szent szobor
1
Gabčíkovo - Bős - Tri sochy svätcov - Három szent szobor
2
Gabčíkovo - Bős - Tri sochy svätcov - Három szent szobor
3

  1. Svätý Anton Padovský / Páduai Szent Antal - born Fernando Martins de Bulhões, (Lisbon c. 1195 - Padua 1231), priest and friar of the Franciscan Order, known for his preaching and expert knowledge of scripture (Wikipedia).
    PÁDUAI sz. ANTAL
    könyörögj érettünk
    minden szükségünkben

    Álittatott 1899

    Renov. 1990

    DERSZI LÁSZLÓ és csal.

    St. Anthony of Padua
    pray for us
    for every need

    Erected 1899

    Renovated 1990

  2. Svätý Ján Nepomucký / Nepomuki Szent János - (Nepomuk c. 1345 - Praha 1393), confessor of the queen of Bohemia, refused to divulge the secrets of the confessional. At the behest of King Wenceslaus of Bohemia he was thrown from the Charles Bridge in Prague and drowned. John of Nepomuk is patron saint of bridges (Wikipedia)
    On the socle a relief showing John of Nepomuk thrown from the bridge.

  3. Svätý Vendel / Szent Vendel - (b. c. 554; probably d. 617), hermit and abbot (Wikipedia).
    1811 évi nagy
    marha vészután
    hálából emelve
    SZ. VENDEL
    könyorögj érettünk!
    ujonnan emelve
    1892 szept. 8
    In 1811 after the great
    cattle plague
    in gratitude erected
    Saint Wendelin
    pray for us!
    newly raised
    8 Sept. 1892

Tags

Location N 47°53'31" E 17°34'32"

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: skta004; Photograph: 5 September 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt