Broadway / Crescent Street
Obelisk with relief portrait
Obelisk with a relief portrait. The obelisk s on a square pedestal with is engraved on four sides with hundreds of names of Italians. Around the obelisk are four granite benches, with inscriptions.
Front of the obelisk:
On the backside:
1492 - 1991
PRESENTED TO THE
CITY OF NORWICH
CITIZENS ON THE 500TH
ANNIVERSARY OF THE
DISCOVERY OF AMERICA BY
On the benches:
(1) DEDICATED TO ALL NORWICH ITALIAN IMMIGRANTS
BY THE COLUMBUS MONUMENT COMMITTEE.
(2) IN HONOR OF THE MEMBERS OF THE
UNITED ITALIAN SOCIETY OF NORWICH, CT.
(3) IN HONOR OF THE ITALIAN AMERICAN
WAR VETERANS MICHAEL J. QUARTO POST #20
(4) IN HONOR OF THE ITALIAN WOMEN OF NORWICH
SPONSORED BY THE ITALIAN WOMEN'S SOCIAL CLUB.
In front of Norwich Free Academy.
- Do you know who the sculptor is? please let us know.
Sources & Information
- I knew about the monument because it is mentioned on the webpage of the Norwich Free Academy, Campus Information
Location (N 41°32'9" - W 72°4'55")
Item Code: usct15; Photograph: 20 October 2001
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt