Granite statue of a young Columbus with bobbed hair, garbed in a 15th century cloak over a long tunic. A medallion hangs on his chest, suspended from a neck chain. In his right hand is a quadrant and in his left hand is a chart. On the granite base the three ships of his fleet are depicted, with their names.
On front side of the pedestal:
On back side:
1451 ---- 1506
DISCOVERER OF AMERICA
OCTOBER 12, 1492.
ERECTED AND DEDICATED OCTOBER 12, 1984
Done by Frank C. Gaylord of Barre, Vermont for the Christopher Columbus Committee that raised the $25,000, this 12-foot statue is made of granite and weighs 12,000 pounds. This statue was dedicated Oct. 12, 1984. The Christopher Columbus Time Capsule, closed Oct. 12, 1992 to be opened October 12, 2092, is behind the monument
- Frank Chalfant Gaylord II, (1925), sculptor.
- Stanislaw Lutostanski
Sources & Information
Locatie (N 41°33'15" - W 73°2'38")
Item Code: usct17; Photograph: 26 October 2001
/ updated: 21 November 2010
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt