Bronze statue of Columbus, portrayed as a young student of geography at the university of Pavia, globe in his left hand and a compass in his right hand. The figure rests atop a square stepped stone base in front of a granite structure. This granite structure, inspired by gothic architecture, has classical columns, four small flying buttresses and a gothic steeple. At each corner is a low stone planter which at one time had been drinking fountains.
Plaque on the monument, above the statue:
ICE WATER FOUNTAIN
Inscription on the statue's pedestal:
THE GIFT OF
JOHN B. DRAKE
CITY OF CHICAGO
the discoverer of america
New plaque below the statue:
rededicated in honor of
the 150th anniversary of
south chicago. refurbished
by sca chemical services.
september 21, 1986
Fond Nelli. Roma
Gift of John B. Drake, proprietor of the Grand Pacific Hotel. The foundation has a receptacle holding two tons of ice, and has ten faucets, each provided with a bronze drinking cup. 1909 moved to present location.
This monument on postcards
- Richard Henry Park (1832-1902),
Sources & Information
- Photos: David E. Nye, president of the Christopher Columbus Philatelic Society, 17 July 2001, and Peter van der Krogt, 7 October 2001.
- Néstor Ponce de León, The Columbus Gallery (New York, 1893), p. 127-128.
- J.M. Dickey, Christopher Columbus and his Monument Columbia (1892), pp. 118-119.
- Chicago Landmarks Drake fountain.
- Smithsonian American Art Museum, SIRIS (Smithsonian Institution Research Information system).
Locatie (N 41°43'41" - W 87°33'9")
Item Code: usil03; Photograph: 7 October 2001
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt