Flagpole with plaque on the foot, showing a sister and two children.
site of the first school patrol crossing
in the world
february 17th. 1921
originated by sister carmela hanggi
principal cathedral school
dedicated june 6th. 1973
to all school patrol members in minnesota
The school patrol, starting with 17 volunteer eighth grade boys, was organized by Sister Carmela Hanggi (1875-1968) to address the problem of the rush of modern transportation that was hemming in the school, located just below the Cathedral of St. Paul at 328 Kellogg Boulevard, with the help of St. Paul Police Lieutenant Frank Hetznecker, but with lukewarm interest from St. Paul Public Safety Commissioner A. E. Smith. In 1922, Lieutenant Hetznecker had organized patrols in 86 public and private schools and the St. Paul City Council officially sanctioned the school patrols.
Sources & Information
Locatie (N 44°56'49" - W 93°6'27")
Item Code: usmn36; Photograph: 23 October 2010
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt