Sculpture hewn from Minnesota granite, portraying a pioneer family of three generations with a rifle, axe and handle of a plow; behind them are carved sheaves of grain, representing the product for which Minneapolis and the Northwest have become most famous. On the back side is a relief showing a Native American chief offering a peace pipe to Father Hennepin.
The sculpture was given to the City of Minneapolis by the Pillsbury family during the Great Depression. It served as the centerpiece of a park near the Central Post Office in Minneapolis called Pioneer Square. The sculpture was dedicated in 1936 on the 103rd anniversary of the birth of Charles Loring, the father of the Minneapolis Park System. In the name of urban renewal the sculpture was moved in 1967 after being offered to anyone willing to relocate it, a move that was "greatly upsetting" to the then 90-year-old Daniels (according to Monumental Minnesota: A Guide to Outdoor Sculpture).
The sculpture was moved on the corner of 5th Avenue and Main Street NE; but on 30 September 2010 is moved across Main Street into the newly constructed B.F. Nelson park on the east bank of the Mississippi River across from downtown Minneapolis.
- John Karl Daniels (Norway 1875 - Minneapolis 1978),
American sculptor from Minnesota
Sources & Information
Location (N 44°59'30" - W 93°15'50")
Item Code: usmn48; Photograph: 24 October 2010
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt