Statues - Hither & Thither

United States of America
Keystone
South Dakota

SD Highway 244

Mount Rushmore National Memorial

George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln
(Wikipedia)
Gutzon Borglum
1927-41

Keystone /  Mount Rushmore National Memorial   Keystone /  Mount Rushmore National Memorial

Description

18 m tall sculptures of the heads of United States presidents (in order from left to right):

George Washington  Thomas Jefferson  Theodore Roosevelt  Abraham Lincoln
These four presidents were selected on the basis of what each symbolized. Washington represents the struggle for independence, Jefferson the idea of government by the people. Lincoln for his ideas on equality and the permanent union of the states, and Roosevelt for the 20th century role of the United States in world affairs.

Annotation

From Wikipedia:

Mount Rushmore National Memorial is a sculpture carved into the granite face of Mount Rushmore near Keystone, South Dakota, in the United States. Sculpted by Gutzon Borglum and later by his son Lincoln Borglum, Mount Rushmore features 60-foot (18 m) sculptures of the heads of former United States presidents (in order from left to right) George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln. The entire memorial covers 1,278.45 acres (5.17 km2)[2] and is 5,725 feet (1,745 m) above sea level.

South Dakota historian Doane Robinson is credited with conceiving the idea of carving the likenesses of famous people into the Black Hills region of South Dakota in order to promote tourism in the region. Robinson's initial idea was to sculpt the Needles; however, Gutzon Borglum rejected the Needles site and chose the larger Mount Rushmore. Borglum also decided the sculpture should have a more national focus, and chose the four presidents whose likenesses would be carved into the mountain. After securing federal funding, construction on the memorial began in 1927, and the presidents' faces were completed between 1934 and 1939. Upon Gutzon Borglum's death in March 1941, his son Lincoln Borglum took over construction. Though the initial concept called for each president to be depicted from head to waist, lack of funding forced construction to end in October 1941.

The four presidents were selected by Borglum because of their role in preserving the Republic and expanding its territory. The image of Thomas Jefferson was originally intended to appear in the area at Washington's right, but after the work there was begun, the rock was found to be unsuitable, so the work on the Jefferson figure was dynamited, and a new figure was sculpted to Washington's left.

By July 4, 1934, Washington's face had been completed and was dedicated. The face of Thomas Jefferson was dedicated in 1936, and the face of Abraham Lincoln was dedicated on September 17, 1937. In 1939, the face of Theodore Roosevelt was dedicated.

The mountain itself was originally named after Charles E. Rushmore, a New York lawyer investigating mining claims in the Black Hills in 1885.

Old Postcard(s)

 
Click on the thumbnail for an enlargement.

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location N 43°52'44" W 103°27'35"

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: ussd01; Photograph: 19 October 2010
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt