Statues - Hither & Thither

United States of America
Pine Bluffs
Wyoming

Statue Drive

Our Lady of Peace Shrine

Robert Fida
1998

Pine Bluffs /  Our Lady of Peace Shrine   Pine Bluffs /  Our Lady of Peace Shrine

Description

12 m (40 ft) tall statue of Mary on a 3 m (10ft) high pedestal. The statue is made from a mixture of marble dust from a Wyoming quarry in Wheatland along with additives and sealant.
It is surrounded by other statues:

Click for larger photo in separate window

Our Lady of Guadalupe
donated by
Richard & Kathy Keene
Jackson, WY
, 6 June 2000.

Click for larger photo in separate window

St. Joseph and the Child Jesus
donated by
Marjorie Trefren
in memory of
Ted G. Trefren
august 3, 2003

Click for larger photo in separate window

Blessed Virgin
and
St. Ann her mother
donated by
Ted and Marjorie Trefren
, made of Carrara marble, 18 Jan. 2005.

Click for larger photo in separate window

Infant Jesus
and
his blessed mother
donated by
Ted and Marjorie Trefren
, made of Carrara marble, 18 Jan. 2005.

Click for larger photo in separate window

Our Lady of Lourdes
donated by
Fr George B. McFadden
Sioux City, IA

And the 14 Stations of the Cross, 3 March 2006.

Annotation

From the sign:

Our Lady of Peace Shrine which Interstate 80 travelers see on the north side of the interstate in Pine Blufs, Wyoming is the dream of a Wyoming couple, Ted and Marjorie Trefren of Cheyenne, Wyoming. It came from a visit to the Old World holy shrines of Medjugorje, Yugoslavia, Lourdes, France, Fatima, Portugal, in 1991, Where visions of the Blessed Mother have appeared.

Ted and Marjorie Trefren talked about erecting a Marian Shrine in Wyoming. For several years, the couple sought a site for the shrine, and formed the non-profit Our Lady of Peace Shrine.

Our prayers have been answered and we now have a beautiful statute of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Finally, the five-acre parcel east of Pine Bluffs, Wyoming was chosen and work by sculptor Robert Fida began. The most technologically advanced methods available were used to make the statue both beautiful and durable. A rubber mold was made and then the statue was cast in fiberglass to make it light enough to ship to California. There laser measurements were taken to create a computer-generated enlargement in foam. A mixture of marble dust from a Wyoming quarry in Wheatland along with additives and sealant were used to cast the statue in marble stone.

It is the largest sculpture in Wyoming and on of the largest Marian Memorials in the United States.

Ted Trefren (Arcadia, Nebraska, 1927 - 2003) and Marjorie McFadden were married April 17, 1948, in St. Mary's Cathedral, Cheyenne, and celebrated their 50 years of marriage in 1998.

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 41°10'56" - W 104°3'13")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: uswy09; Photograph: 18 October 2010
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt